History of Hamilton Lakes
A.M. Scales (who developed Irving Park) assembled the land in the early 1900's. His vision was to create a resort-like community to accommodate the growing demand by middle and upper income residents for large lots and a relaxed setting.
Scales marketed the community to homeowners as:
"Out from the crowded streets of the town, far from the congestion and traffic, a beautiful village is designed to sooth the senses. Parks and lakes replace crowded corners - the songs of birds, the noise of motors and trolleys - and flowers and shrubs bloom on every side. Thousands of rose bushes grace the roadsides, and dogwood, red bud, and laurel have been planted in the work of beautification."
Central to the design were the two neighborhood lakes: Lake Euphemia and Hamilton Lakes. Scales dedicated many small parks, referred to as "dales", and incorporated four such spaces in his plan:
Keeling Dale, Erskine Dale, Kemp Dale, and Nut Bush Dale.
Today, Hamilton Lakes Park is a large neighborhood park with more than 60 acres of recreational opportunities. The natural wooded area is filled with about 2 miles of trails and has a stream plus a playground on the northern end of the park.