History of Irving Park
Irving Park was developed by the Southern Real Estate Company in 1911. It was planned around the Greensboro Country Club golf course, which was originally nine holes. It grew to it's current 18-hole form between 1925 and 1930 when it was re-designed by premier golf course architect Donald J. Ross. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
The first phase included streets directly surrounding the course, including Country Club Dr, Carlisle Rd, Sunset Dr, Briarcliff Rd, and Meadowbrook Terrace. There were many passive parks with open space added, including Elmwood Park, "The Dale", Johnson Park, and Dogwood Park. Heavy emphasis was placed on landscape architecture.
Some amazing examples are found in Irving Park of 20th Century architecture, including designs by prominent architects Charles Barton Keen, Mott Schmidt, and Greensboro's own Charles Hartmann and Edward Loewenstein.